Reflexology (foot massage)
-Sole searching for better health-
Reflexology is a massage treatment that involves stimulating reflex points on the foot. Each of these corresponds with an organ or part of your body.
There are 86 main reflex points on each of your feet. When a part of your body is unbalanced or diseased, crystalline or granular deposits may build-up at the corresponding reflex point on your foot. These points may feel tender, sore or painful to touch.
By gently stimulating and applying pressure to these points, your massage therapist can slowly work out and disperse the granules. This helps to reduce the congestion or blockages in the affected areas of your body, as well as stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system.
There are many other benefits of reflexology to the health of your body:
- decreased muscular tension
- deep relaxation
- lower blood pressure
- improved blood flow and circulation (especially to your kidneys and intestines)
- cellular nutrition
- removal of toxins and waste
- awakens your parasympathetic nervous system
Studies have shown that reflexology (combined with medical treatment), can improve immune function, shorten the duration of an illness or injury, speed up recovery, and help prevent its complications and recurrence.
Reflexology has a proven complimentary role in alleviating and healing a range of specific health conditions:
- Anxiety and depression (especially pre-operative and menopausal related)
- Effects of cancer treatment (including appetite, breathing, concentration, fear, pain, nausea, fatigue, diarrhoea and constipation)
- Cardio-vascular system problems
- Diabetes Type II (including less pain, better glycemic control and nerve conductivity.
- Migraines and tension headaches (comparable to drug therapy)
- Post-operative symptoms, such as decreased pain, nausea and vomiting.
- Sinusitis (comparable to nasal douching)
- Long-term degenerative conditions, such as Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.
Before receiving reflexology treatment at Massage Philosophy, your feet are prepared with a premium herbal foot spa. This helps to warm and relax your feet, and improve your blood circulation, prior to reflexology treatment. The spa usually takes 8-10 minutes.
Your massage therapist will commence your reflexology treatment by feeling for signs of granular deposits, pain, soreness, crunchiness or hollowness in all areas of your feet. They will gently but firmly stimulate your affected reflex points.
With your parasympathetic nervous system activated, your anxiety reduced and your fight-or-flight response switched off – your body can begin to heal and take care of itself.
You will feel better and stay healthier with regular reflexology massage at Massage Philosophy.